Developmental disability in general practice – less ‘dis’ and more ‘ability’
This ALM focuses on dealing effectively with health vulnerabilities of individuals with developmental disability within the general practice and community settings. Discussion will highlight both the importance of diagnostic accuracy and the need to assess functional strengths and weaknesses This ALM will provide ready access to information relevant to their patients with developmental disability.
- Discuss early childhood development and its importance for lifelong health and wellbeing
- Define the nature and scope of developmental disability as it pertains to the individual and the community
- Recognise the role of the GP in managing the common health and medical issues associated with developmental disability
- Identify the services and supports that are available for children and adults with developmental disability in the context of NDIS
- Ascertain and manage the safety risks specific to the individual with developmental disability within the primary care setting and the community.